Firearms and Weapons Charges in Alberta
Under the Criminal Code of Canada, with recent amendments, the penalties associated with the conviction of weapons charges have dramatically increased. These said charges include mandatory minimum prison sentences. Thus, such charges may include the following:
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Possession of a prohibited or restricted weapon
- Possession for purpose of trafficking weapons
- Weapons trafficking
- Misuse of dangerous weapons
Transporting Firearms into Canada
The weapons laws in Canada are very strict, however, they are different than the laws in the US. The Criminal Code of Canada clearly states:
s.95.(1) Everyone who commits an offense (possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm and/or readily accessible ammunition) is guilty of an indictable offense and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of:
- In the case of a first offense, three (3) years, and
- In the case of a second offense or subsequent offense, five (5) years;or
- Is guilty of an offense punishable on a summary conviction and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year.
If you are facing weapons charges,
contact our Calgary criminal Defense Team
If you are facing weapons charges, an experienced weapons lawyer is considered to be essential for all court proceedings. The minimum jail sentence if charged with the possession of illegal firearms in Canada is significant. Under these circumstances (charged with carrying a concealed firearm), you will need our experienced criminal lawyer – call Greg Dunn in Calgary, Alberta, at 1-403-775-4677. Our criminal assault lawyers will be able to examine your situation, as well as possibly negotiate a favorable result.
Take the step you need to resolve the charges at hand and contact our Calgary criminal law office immediately – 1-403-775-4677.